Countdown to Surgery #2

My surgery is coming up in a few days. I've been very nervous about how everything is going to play out. We had our pre-op appointment Tuesday at the hospital. I got to meet with my RE to go over everything. I am very confident in his abilities and I am feeling good about it.

It's just hard for me to forget everything that happened during my last surgery. But I digress... The date was July 24, 2007. I was scheduled for a laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, D&C, polyupectomy and ovarian drilling. I got there early and was checked in and ready to go. I get wheeled into the OR and they begin to administer the meds. The entire nursing staff is telling me to close my eyes and fall asleep... Well, little did they know that the IV was not working properly and the needle had slipped out of my vein and under my skin. The anaesthesiologist was unaware that this occurred because he was too busy flirting with another nurse. Seconds later he inserted the drug given during surgery which paralyzes the patient. I had no idea that this was happening and went to take a breath when my esophagus close up. Within seconds, my arms and legs started flailing about as if independent of my body. My eyes were rolling around and everyone in the OR was running around like crazy. I wasn't getting oxygen and my body was starved, not to mention freaking out. Finally after about a minute, the anaesthesiologist said "Holy Sh*t!" and threw a gas mask on my face. I only assume that I was beginning to change color. When I woke up my RE and the anaesthesiologist were standing over my bed while a nurse was pumping Morphine into me. They denied that anything happened to me. Three days later I developed severe panic and anxiety attacks.

You can see how ecstatic I would be to find out that I would need to go under the knife again. But, I knew that this would need to be done in order to find out what we were still not getting pregnant. It's been a tough journey, but I'll do what I need to achieve our dream.

No comments: