9.11.2009

Emotional Trainwreck

Yeah, my emotions are ALL over the place. One minute I'm fine, the next I'm in tears. As strange as it might sound, it's not so much about the recent development in our infertility journey. It's about my baby boy. I lack the words to accurately describe how much this dog has made an impact on our lives.

You see, Quincy had led a rough life before we rescued him. He was abused and neglected. He was nothing but a big red bag of bones when we got him. My step dad nicknamed him Quincy Bones (a la Quincy Jones). This is a boy who wants absolutely nothing more than to be loved. There is not a person that he has met whose life he has not impacted. Everyone lives Quincy. Everyone is devastated that this is result we've come to.

Rick has been researching a book that we purchased, The Dog Cancer Survival Guide. He is devising a holistic treatment plan. Neither of us believe in chemotherapy and radiation for him. We do not believe that it will improve his quality of life and would keep him sicker for a short while after and we want to enjoy what we have left with him. Not to mention it's outrageously expensive. We just don't have the money to do it. We know however, that once there is a change in his demeanor or he appears to be in pain or any sort of discomfort it will be time to send our sweet boy home.

We hope that the Lord will let us have at least another year with him. We are better individuals and a better couple having taken care of him. We can't wait to make the most of our time with him. I'm actually in the midst of hiring our wedding photographer to do a family session with Quincy. He tends to be a camera shy boy and I'm hoping that with someone else on the other side of the camera and Rick and I with him, he'll come out of his shell.

4 comments:

Gina said...

A family photo session sounds like a beautiful thing.

Rick said...

We need to cherish the time we have left with him. Who knows, maybe we can get another couple of years with him. Stranger things have happened. I'm just so thankful that he's been a part of our lives. I think the joy of being his mommy and daddy over the past 4 years far outweighs the sadness that we are feeling now. Hopefully he smiles nice and pretty for the camera.

jenicini said...

Lots of love to Quincy. He is lucky to have found such a great family who loves and cherishes him like you do.

Banana Pancakes said...

That post made me bawl girl. I am so so so sorry for the diagnosis on your sweet boy Quincy. I would be beside myself if I knew my time were limited with one of my sweet pups. You are a beautiful Mama for adopting and loving him, he is such a lucky boy. I would give a kidney to one of my rescued kids if they needed it & could use mine. I'm sure the photos will turn out beautifully....